"When you give someone a book you're giving them the most imaginative of gift because you're taking a personal interest in what interests them." - Random House
EXTRA! EXTRA! READ ALL ABOUT EXTRA CREDIT!
1. Find any printed mistake that you stumbled upon out in the world (not by searching mistakes on the Internet), cut it out, or take a picture and print it out, so that we can display it on the bulletin board. (+5 on quiz)
2. Read more than the two required independent reading books per marking period. Take an Accelerated Reader Quiz on each book and earn +5 on a test for each book read over the required two. Disclaimer: Student must earn an 80 or above on each AR Quiz.
3. Find a mistake on class materials and politely inform and show the teacher at an appropriate time. (+2 on quiz)
4. Submit a fully-polished, revised and edited piece of writing started during the marking period. Use MLA format and follow all guidelines of professional, formal writing. (+5 on a test)
There will be additional extra credit opportunities added each marking period.
1. Write two paragraphs with opposite tones on the same topic. Use word choice, sentence structure, and punctuation to create the tone. (the second page of the homework assignment) = +5 on quiz
2. Like we did at a color station during The Giver unit, take a photograph of a striking image. Print one color version and a black-and-white version. Write at least a paragraph stating the emotion(s) of each photograph and what emotion or effect is lost or gained when the color is lost. (+5 on a quiz)
3. Write an argumentative essay regarding one of these topics from The Giver. The packet available at that link will discuss in detail the topics and requirements of the essay. (+10 on a test)
1. Read "The Lover" and "Poryphia's Lover" and answer the questions attached to the Weebly. (Reading>Strange and Bizarre.) (+ 10 test)
2. Highlight all the commas that are incorrectly used in "The Phantom Hitchhiker." (+5 quiz)
3. Read "The Black Cat" and answer questions. (+5 quiz)